1960s cars are made of more stuff (AKA I never knew how involved trimming a car was)

I took my Pontiac’s seats and door cards up to Steve at Trim Lab in the NSW Hunter Valley as he will be recovering them in a new style. I wanted to update the factory tri-tone pattern and the blue/aqua colourscheme won’t work with my new green paint, so I’ll be going for a simpler pattern based around what the ’64 Pontiac Grand Prix had.

Think something similar to this pattern…

16932_cf3fc7fe5ce8img_1633

I already have new carpet ready to go into my car in a box in the garage, plus brand new repro hoodlining material, C-pillar cards and more (read to the end to find out my kickpanel fail!). But the list of parts I needed to still purchase took me by surprise.

Seat belts I had expected, but what the heck is windlace, and why is it so hard to find for 1960s full-size General Motors cars?!

Basically, cars built prior to the 1970s often feature a strip of cloth stapled to cardboard strips, which trims the edge of your hoodlining and windows. There is also a vinyl version which runs around the edge of the doors on most 1960s cars, too. This is called “windlace”.

Amazingly, while you can buy any number of rubber weather stripping kits to suit this era of cars, I was only able to find one windlace kit to suit ’60s Pontiacs… and it was the wrong colour. I ended up buying both cloth and vinyl snap-fit generic windlace by the yard off eBay.com to suit GM cars.

As you can see, my front seat and door cards need a fair bit of love.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I also unwrapped my new reproduction kick panels, which I bought as I knew my old stock aqua ones were pretty beat up. These new parts were advertised as a direct fit, direct replacement part, but you can clearly see they are nowhere near the same as the original items. I’ll probably have to restore my original pieces and repaint them black.

20180602_09055120180602_090602

I’ve also gone through the list of what’s needed and ordered new window regulators, door latches, window felts, window channels (and quarter-window frames), seat belts (only 2 in the front!), window felts, arm rests and pads, door fastener kit (all the screws I need to put it back together), plus a full front-end bolt kit, moulding fastener kit, rubber bumper kit, fuel tank rubber mounts and fastener kit, plus a new rear-view mirror.

Additionally, I’ve thrown cash at new rear wheel cylinders, rear wheel bearings, and rear wheel seals, so I know this thing will drive reliably once it is fired up.

 

 


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s